Automotive suppliers operate in a complex and demanding environment and face unprecedented challenges today. Customers expect more than ever, for both less time and less money. OEMs are delegating more responsibility to their supplier partners, and engaging in risk-sharing where suppliers are liable for warranty and other costs. Existing competitors are defending and expanding their market positions while emerging competitors strive to introduce higher value products.
- Pressure from OEMs to reduce costs
- Integration of mechanical and electrical design data
- Data from customers and suppliers exists in various CAD formats
- Late design changes increase development and manufacturing costs
- Product data is out of date and difficult to reuse in manufacturing
- Product performance issues are not identified until physical prototyping
- Communication with suppliers and non-technical teams is inefficient
- Disconnected processes for conceptual design, engineering, and manufacturing
Succeeding in this market requires an intense focus on eliminating inefficiencies throughout the development process from concept to market launch. Development teams need the ability to explore a design early in the design process and to communicate that design with stakeholders. The ability to visualise, optimise, and manage a design from the earliest concept phase is a prerequisite to avoiding design errors that do not appear until the physical prototyping stage. Just as important is the ability for multiple disciplines to communicate and collaborate throughout the development process, without recreating data to meet their needs.
The Autodesk Solution
The Autodesk solution enables workgroups to create a single digital model that can be used in every stage of production, bridging the gaps that usually exist between conceptual design, engineering, and manufacturing teams. This single digital model enables the simulation of the complete product and gives designers and engineers the ability to better visualise, optimise, and manage their designs before producing a physical prototype, helping projects get to market faster and reducing errors and the cost and waste associated with physical prototypes.
The Autodesk approach is unique in that it is attainable, scalable, and cost effective, allowing suppliers to realise benefits with minimal disruption to existing workflows. Digital Prototyping provides a straightforward path to creating and maintaining a single digital model in a multidisciplinary engineering environment.
Autodesk tools help to maintain a single digital model from early sketches through design modelling (including hybrid processes), visualisation and decision-making and final technical surfacing.
With market-leading industrial design tools from Autodesk you can:
- Work digitally from project start
- Incorporate industrial design data into the Digital Prototype (share design data with engineering using a common file format)
- Create highly realistic representations of your product to make informed product decisions
With Autodesk software, you can visualise, simulate, and analyse designs early in the design process and collaborate with customers and suppliers to reduce errors, optimise designs, and minimise physical prototyping.
With Autodesk Inventor, the foundation of the Autodesk solution, you can easily and quickly create digital prototypes using Inventor’s functional design capabilities:
- Design with a focus on functional requirements, rather than geometry.
- Have your software automatically create complex 3D geometry.
- And as a result, quickly and easily create accurate digital prototypes.
You can use the tightly integrated calculations, stress analysis and motion simulation tools in Autodesk Inventor to validate and optimise your designs digitally:
- Understand how your product will perform under real-world conditions without building a physical prototype.
- Easily iterate, optimise, and validate your design, digitally.
The smooth, bidirectional interoperability between Autodesk 2D and 3D mechanical and electrical applications allows you to easily incorporate your electrical controls designs into 2D or 3D mechanical designs, so electrical and mechanical teams can work collaboratively.
Autodesk tools facilitate the integration of product design with tooling, equipment, and manufacturing plant layout capabilities.
Digital Prototyping in the manufacturing workflow enables:
- Early, digital communication with manufacturing teams, so manufacturing input is received up-front, which results in better product quality.
- This digital communication is a much faster and more reliable way to communicate between manufacturing and design departments
- Reduced reliance on 2D and costly physical prototypes to get to a working product.
- Improved design for assembly using 3D visualisation to avoid the confusion of ambiguous paper drawings.
Autodesk provides solutions for virtual photography and cinematography that enable creative agencies to market products without the need for costly physical prototypes and photography shoots. These tools effectively re purpose the digital prototype and allow the development of marketing materials in parallel with product development.